Thursday, June 14, 2007

GA Division Championship... Too Much Too Soon?




I really wasn't planning to compete in fencing at all in June. Nationals wasn't cheap for me last year, and it was here in Atlanta - just down the road. Sure, I factored the $100 I spent on booze with my friends from out of town in that cost, but still. When rumblings of a new State Championship came up this May, I really was non-plussed. Saving up for what will be an expensive trip to Nationals in Miami meant that fees for another tournament, gas, and the possibility of something else breaking wasn't in the cards. I delayed buying warm ups until this month. Add to that coaching fees, pre-Nationals clinic fees, and entry fees and I have already committed $400 before leaving town. Transportation and lodging aside (I've managed to hold those costs low), I still need to feed myself for a week, buy epee blades and cords, and at least take in South Beach while I am there. Keeping this trip under a grand will be harder than winning gold in both my events.

So while most of my club is fencing in the Mixed (Mixed!) Open Epee State Championship, I will be getting some much needed rest. I will make it up for the team epee event - my team needs all the practice it can get.

Had I known about this event back in December, I probably would have competed. The Vandy tournament was a disaster... and outside lessons learned and the chance to hit on a cute redhead coed, it was a complete waste of time and money. Losing in the Table of 64, and having pre-paid an extra night at my hotel was the ultimate humiliation. Knowing what I know now, I would have easily forgone that to plan to fence in Rome. Scheduling is a bia, right?

No comments: