Monday, June 12, 2006

Holding On To A Lead

Even though I was only seeded 39 out of 57, Georgia Games was an unmidigated disaster. I had a tough pool - two Bs, two Cs, and a U (who beat me); but my record of 1-4 with a -9 indicator was inexcusable. Especially since in two of the lost bouts I was up 4-2 at one point. I really need to learn to hold on to a lead. The same thing happened in Reno; I would get ahead, and I just couldn't push through to get that last touch. The other losses were less annoying: I lost 5-2 to a B06 fencer who has owned me for a while, and I lost 5-0 to a C06 fencer from my club. He is normally beatable, but not when he is fresh off a triumph and I am still rubbing sleep out of my eyes.

Between now and nationals if I learn one thing - it will be to hold on to a lead till the end. A 3-2 record would have made life a little easier on me in DEs, and at the very least I would have finished with a respectable place.

No comments: